Granola with no added sugar, you say?
Not too sweet, not too salty, just perfect. A crunchy natural tasting granola.
- 2 ripe/brown mashed bananas equivalent to one cup
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce I used a few mini apple sauce cups
- 1/2 cup natural organic peanut butter I always use Trader Joe's Creamy or Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp + dash cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt optional
- 6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp pure natural honey
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate morsels optional
Preheat the oven to 300°
Pour the oats into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
While the oven is preheating, use a potato masher or fork to mash the ripened bananas. Try and mash until smooth as possible. Once mashed, place the mashed bananas, peanut butter, apple sauce, vanilla, cinnamon, salt (optional) and honey in the sauce pan. To warm and smooth, mix ingredients on low heat (about 5 minutes or so).
Once warmed, remove from heat and pour the mixture over the oats. Stir ingredients until combined (leaving no chunks behind).
Once combined, pour the mixture over the parchment paper lined baking sheet(s). Spread the mixture evenly and bake for 1 - 1.5 hours in 30 minute increments. Be sure to stir the mixture every 30 minutes. Once the hour has passed, continue to stir in smaller time increments until the granola is golden.
Remove from oven and let cool. Option to add the dark chocolate morsels once cooled.
Try my Berry Protein Smoothie and top it off with some granola!